RPTS allows up to 45 credit hours taken through distance learning courses to be applied to the MDiv degree. In exceptional circumstances, an additional 45 credit hours may be earned through distance learning courses on a case-by-case basis. The Registrar and Admissions Office have more information concerning this process. A full MDiv degree is not offered through distance learning. The MTS degree (Biblical Studies and Doctrinal and Historical Studies concentrations only) may be fully earned through distance learning courses. Distance learning credits transferred to RPTS from other institutions will be evaluated by the Registrar on a case-by-case basis. The Seminary will not normally accept distance learning courses offered by non-accredited institutions. Students in the Missionary Training Certificate and Ministry Diploma programs may earn a majority of credits through distance education on a case-by-case basis.
RPTS strongly encourages any student taking courses through distance learning to do so under the oversight of the leadership of his or her local congregation. All students who take distance learning courses for credit or audit must apply and be accepted to RPTS prior to beginning. Distance learning courses are subject to a content delivery fee and are generally only offered concurrently with the corresponding on-campus courses. Distance learning courses may be taken asynchronously with the approval of the professor; however, in such cases, the student will be required to pay both the content delivery fee and the independent study fee.
If you are considering studying as a distance learning student, please keep in mind the following RPTS Distance Learning Requirements:
- - Internet enabled device (PC, MAC, iPad, tablet, etc.)
- - High speed internet access. All course materials are delivered through the Moodle learning management system. No materials will be mailed, emailed, or otherwise distributed. Lectures are delivered as video files. You must have, and maintain, an internet connection that is adequate to stream video.
- - Access to YouTube, as all of our lectures are delivered through private YouTube links embedded into Moodle. You will not be able to view lectures if you cannot access YouTube. If you can watch a video on YouTube with your device, you can watch RPTS lectures.
- - Webcam. Some professors will want to speak with you via teleconference. Most current laptops and tablets have a webcam built in.
- - Students must have the ability to navigate and use online resources such as email, our student web portal, and Moodle, along with the ability to manage passwords and order books online when necessary.
- Students must complete the RPTS new-student orientation process either on-site or online.
- - Students must complete all coursework on time, as it is easy to get behind in a distance learning course. You must be self-motivated and stay on top of your workload.
- - Distance learning students must abide by all policies as found in the RPTS Academic Catalog and the Student Handbook.
Below is a list of the distance learning courses offered during their respective terms. Please see the quarterly schedules (Students tab), which list the distance learning options for each quarter.
BC11 Introduction to Biblical Counseling
CH21 Patristic and Medieval Church History
NT01 Elementary Greek I
NT12 Interpretation of the Bible
NT21 New Testament Exegesis I
NT23 Acts and Pauline Epistles
OT01 Elementary Hebrew I
OT91 Covenant Theology
PT32 Care and Administration of the Local Church
ST11 Introduction to Reformed Theology
ST21 Doctrine of God
ST31 Doctrine of Human Nature
BC22 Marriage and Family Counseling
CH12 Theological Research and Writing
CH22 History of the Reformation
NT02 Elementary Greek II
NT22 New Testament Exegesis II
NT52 Epistle to the Hebrews
OT02 Elementary Hebrew II
OT12 Historical Writings
PT13 Ministry of Worship
PT42 Readiness for Pastoral Ministry
ST12 Doctrine of Revelation
ST22 Doctrine of Salvation
BC23 Advanced Biblical Counseling
CH23 Modern Church History
CH31 Reformed Presbyterian History
NT03 Elementary Greek III
NT33 General Epistles and Revelation
OT03 Elementary Hebrew III
ST33 Doctrine of the Church