"Over its nearly 200-year history, RPTS has never strayed from its original purpose to train ministers of the Gospel, and its commitment to the inspired, infallible, and authoritative Word of God."
The Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary was founded in 1810. It is the fifth oldest Seminary in the United States. Its founding was one of the first acts of the Synod of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America, following the establishment of the Synod in 1809.
While the mission of RPTS has expanded over nearly 200 years, the Seminary has never strayed from its original purpose to train ministers of the Gospel in serving Christ's Church and advancing His Kingdom by equipping them with a through knowledge of and wholehearted commitment to the inspired, infallible, authoritative Word of God.
For many years, a Professor of Theology was elected by the Synod, and the students of theology came to study where he was serving as Pastor. When he moved to serve a different congregation, the students moved with him. In the first 46 years, the Seminary functioned in five different locations. In 1856, the Synod purchased a building for the Seminary in what is now the North Side of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was to move only once more, in 1923, to its present location (left) in the Point Breeze section of Pittsburgh.
While seminary education has become more formal to meet modern needs and standards today, RPTS continues to train students under the mentoring of professors who have been pastors and who continue to serve churches in various ways, including pulpit supply.