John W. Tweeddale
Adjunct Professor of Church History
Rev. Tweeddale is the Senior Pastor of First Reformed Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Pittsburgh, PA. His doctoral work has focused on hermeneutics, covenant theology, and Christology in the post-Reformation era. His thesis is entitled “A Sure Foundation: Old Testament Christological Patterns in John Owen’s Discourses on Hebrews.”
He is the co-editor, with Derek W. H. Thomas, of the forthcoming book John Calvin: For a New Reformation (Crossway). He and Derek Thomas also wrote The Essential Commentaries for a Preacher’s Library, revised edition (Reformed Academic Press).
He is married to Angela, and they have one daughter, Amelia, with another child on the way!
- Senior Pastor, First Reformed Presbyterian Church (PCA), Pittsburgh, PA, 2009 to present
- Pulpit & Pastoral Supply, Point Free Church of Scotland, Isle of Lewis, August 2007
- Discipleship Intern, First Presbyterian Church, Jackson, MS, 2003-2005
Other Teaching Experience:
- James H. Thornwell Scholar, Reformed Theological Seminary, 2002-2005
- Theology Tutor, William Carey University, spring 2000, spring 2001
- B.A., William Carey University, 2001
- M.Div., Reformed Theological Seminary, 2005
- Ph.D. (candidate), University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Free Church of Scotland College – audited a two-year systematic theology course, 2006-2008
- L’Abri Fellowship, Huémoz, Switzerland – five week independent study, 2000
Articles & Essay:
- “Spiritual Truths for Spiritual Minds: The Alexandrian and Antiochene Schools of Biblical Interpretation.” reformation21, issue19 (March 2007).
- “A Little Commenting on a Lengthy Commentary: An Introduction to John Owen’s Exposition on Hebrews.” reformation21, issue 17 (January 2007).
- “The Primary Seat of the Soul: An Evaluation of Robert L. Dabney’s Review of Charles Hodge.” G. Aiken Taylor Award in American Presbyterianism. St. Louis: PCA Historical Center, 2005.
- “Genesis 3:15 and the Foundation of Redemption: The Messianic Promise in John Owen’s Discourses on Hebrews.” Presented at the John Owen Today Conference, Westminster College, Cambridge, UK (August 19-22, 2008).
- “Must We Consign Ourselves to Silence? Ludwig Wittgenstein, Reformed Theological ‘Investigations’, and the Apologetic Task.” Presented at Reformed Theological Seminary, Jackson, MS (May 1, 2007).
- “A Sure Foundation: Christ as the Fundamentum Scripturae in John Owen’s Exposition of Hebrews.” Presented at the Scottish Postgraduate Conference in Theology and Religious Studies at New College, University of Edinburgh, UK (June 8, 2006).
Back to Faculty Page